On October 28, 2023, in Kolkata, India, the Netherlands faced off against Bangladesh in a crucial match of the ICC World Cup 2023. Both teams aimed to improve their chances of reaching the semi-finals. The Netherlands had won one and lost two of their previous matches, while Bangladesh had one win and one loss under their belt.
The Match Highlights
The Netherlands started their innings, scoring 229 runs before they were all out in 49.5 overs. Scott Edwards, with 68 runs, and Sybrand Engelbrecht, with 35 runs, were the top scorers for the Dutch side. Shakib Al Hasan shone as the standout bowler for Bangladesh, taking 4 wickets for 31 runs.
In response, Bangladesh could only manage 142 runs in 43 overs. Liton Das contributed 25 runs, while Shakib Al Hasan scored 22. The Netherlands’ bowlers, Paul van Meekeren with 4 wickets for 28 runs and Bas de Leede with 3 wickets for 22 runs, were the stars of the show.
- The Netherlands had a promising start, with Edwards and Colin Ackermann forming a solid 70-run partnership for the first wicket.
- However, they stumbled, losing wickets in quick succession, leaving them at 139/6.
- Edwards and Engelbrecht then revived their innings with a 70-run partnership for the seventh wicket.
- Shakib Al Hasan dismissed Edwards, ending the partnership, and the Netherlands were eventually all out for 229.
- Bangladesh faced early batting woes, losing both their openers quickly.
- Liton Das and Shakib Al Hasan steadied the ship with a 50-run partnership for the third wicket.
- Nevertheless, they lost wickets in quick succession, reducing them to 104/7.
- Taskin Ahmed and Mehidy Hasan Miraz put up a 38-run partnership for the eighth wicket, but the Netherlands eventually bowled out Bangladesh for 142.
The Netherlands clinched victory, defeating Bangladesh by a margin of 87 runs.
Bowling Brilliance from the Netherlands
The Netherlands showcased an outstanding bowling performance in this match. They consistently took wickets, preventing Bangladesh from forming any substantial partnerships. Paul van Meekeren was the standout bowler, securing four wickets while conceding just 28 runs in his 10 overs. Bas de Leede was equally impressive, taking three wickets for 22 runs in his allotted 10 overs.
Struggles in the Bangladeshi Batting Lineup
Bangladesh’s batting performance was lackluster in this match. They lost wickets at regular intervals and failed to establish any momentum. Only Liton Das and Shakib Al Hasan managed to resist the Netherlands’ bowling attack, scoring 25 and 22 runs, respectively.
The Netherlands delivered a commanding performance, securing a comprehensive victory over Bangladesh. Their strong showing in both bowling and batting will bolster their confidence as they strive to advance to the semi-finals of the World Cup.