Live updates on farmers’ protest: Shadow of Section 144 on “Delhi Chalo” march
Tense atmosphere amid preparations for farmers’ Delhi march:
- Thousands of farmers from various states, mainly Punjab and Haryana, are preparing for a ‘Delhi Chalo’ march demanding repeal of the farm laws and a legal guarantee for the minimum support price (MSP).
- Amid rising tension, authorities in Delhi and surrounding areas have imposed Section 144, prohibiting unlawful assembly of four or more people, in an effort to maintain law and order.
Farmers’ reaction on Section 144:
- Farmer leaders have described the imposition of Section 144 as “undemocratic” and an attempt to “suppress” their peaceful protest.
- They have vowed to continue their march despite the restrictions, calling it their democratic right to raise their concerns with the government.
Safety measures and possible effects:
- Delhi Police has deployed heavy security personnel across the city and at border points to prevent any untoward incident.
- The imposition of Section 144 increases concerns about possible clashes between farmers and security forces, creating an uncertain environment.
- It remains to be seen whether the farmers defy the restrictions and go ahead with the march, which could possibly lead to a clash.
- The central government’s reactions and its stance on farmers’ demands will be important in determining the future course of the protest.
*Stay tuned to us for further updates as the situation unfolds.